Monday, October 15, 2007

Fish Masala - With Pomfret / Mackarel

Yesterday we bought pomfret and I didn't want to fry it nor curry it. I remembered a yummy fish masala my mom makes. I tasted the same thing in a restaurant in Bangalore(Little Home) sometime back. Anyways, my mom's recipe tastes a lot better. I didnt clearly know the recipe. As usual, i remembered the taste and decided boldly to go ahead! Let me share my recipe with you... You can use mackerel also instead of pomfret.

Ingredients:
2 Pomfret
3 thinly sliced onions
2 chopped tomatoes
6 green chillies grounded
8 garlic flakes grounded
1" ginger grounded
1/2 cup coconut milk
Salt as per taste
3 tbsp oil

Grind to a paste:
1/2 tsp corriander seeds
1/2 tsp cummin seeds
5 black pepper
2 cloves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilli powder

Method
Cut the fish into 2 pieces and make 2 thin lines on the fish. Marinate the fish with salt, little pepper, red chilly and turmeric and keep aside for an hour. Heat oil and fry the fish lightly(You can fry it completely also) and keep aside. Those who are worried about oil content can keep the fish on tissue paper to drain more oil. Heat the oil, and fry the onions till golden brown. You can use the same oil which was used for frying. Add ginger-garlic-green chillies paste and stir for a minute. Add tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the grounded paste and simmer for 1 minute. Add little water and quarter portion of coconut milk and let it boil for 2 minutes. When it starts boiling add the fish pieces. Again add quarter of coconut milk and little water. Once the masala is kind of dry and the rest of coconut milk and cook till done. Ideally it will be a semi gravy. If yours is not so, transfer the fish pieces without breaking to a serving dish and let the gravy become more dry by keeping it on fire. Once done, you can spread the semi dry gravy on fish pieces. Now you can serve it hot with rice.

Mine came out so well that my husband says that it is better than the restaurant one. I hope it is better than my mom's too;-)

1 comment:

Ammu said...

Yummmmm!!! I can feel that taste even without eating it. I think it has some twists of your own. I will surely try this this weekend. Just wait for my feedback.